Thursday, April 06, 2006

Go, little fella, go!

I was walking the dog when I saw this little thing crossing the road. After the walk, I ran out with my camera to see if I could find it and it was still there a little further on. I took a few shots of it. It seemed like it was looking at me. My bus came. I was going the immigration police station in Malmi to apply for my permanent residence permit. After all the trouble I went through today, I didn't feel unlike that tiny caterpillar trying to cross a big ass wet road full of big ass obstacles.
I suppose the commotion started last night when I went and got my photo taken. Stupidly, I went right before my class started and when the photo came out with my head looking like I'd had an encephalitic allergic reaction. Well, my face was just too big in the tiny photo. I didn't have time to argue as I was now running late. After class, with the Finn in tow, we went back and straightened it all out. I walked out of there with two new smaller headed photos as well as the others.
So, I walked into the station took my number sat down took a piss had a nutrition bar read a magazine the heard a chime and looked up to see my number was up. I handed in my papers waited while she eyeballed them typed some stuff into the computer photocopied my passport and told me it would be 100 euros. I never remember paying that much before. I suppose I was confused by the fact that the websites say that spouses of European Union citizens pay only 40€€. Funny, I was under the impression that Finland joined the European Union and that they were its EU citizens. However, further investigation led to the it doesn't matter to the authorities.
Well, fees go up. Finns are treated differently than other EU citizens and eventually, the caterpillar gets across the road. Oh yeah, as I sat in the waiting room, I looked up and saw that they now require 2 color photos while it didn't say that on the website. Good thing, I still had those big headed photos in my bag. I gave them those, they only kept one. I had to run to Otto to get the cash as they only take bank cards and I have a silly Visa Electron. At least that is all taken care of. After that, I had to get a pankkivekseli and mail my passport to the stupid embassy. They suck ass. I mean, it is so ridiculous that one cannot just pop in there and take care of their business. It makes me feel like I am not even a citizen. What is the point in them even being here. Apparently, the Finnish government treats me better than my own country's government. Posted by Picasa

No comments: