Thursday, April 13, 2006

Bowling at a breakneck speed



Come on, people! Let us just pay per game instead of per hour. The Finn & I went to meet some friends for bowling. We rented a lane for an hour. I was told that I had to get there early to be ready. Here, I was thinking, what is to get ready for? You put the shoes on you bowl. I was the last one to arrive but just barely. Anyway, we walked in together as a group. We picked out our shoes and waited for the lane. As soon as the screen went blank for those players, I noticed them rushing to put their balls on the thingy and getting ready to roll. One right after the other, my fellow players were taking their turns. I suddenly realized that the same rush to roll was taking place on the other lanes. Nobody, was doing the courtesy wait till your neighbor rolls, thing. Folks were lined up on the lanes balls in hand in a funky synchronization of tossing. What the fuck was the rush, I wondered. Nobody had time to laugh or joke or drink a beer it was roll roll roll. I never had time to concentrate much less find my mark. To top it off the balls were way to greasy. Later, I realized that we were all playing against the clock, not each other. I got my lowest ever score in my playing history. I thought longingly of the lazy lanes in California, where you could pay for the amount of games you wanted to play and you could take your time. Granted there were at least 22 lanes, if not more compared to the measly 12 found in the place I was. Bowling isn't meant to be played fast, it isn't meant to be played without a plan. One needs time to stand there, staring down the pins for as long as it takes to make sure you get the ball to where you want it to go.

No comments: