Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Tale of Two Comidas

Well, the first meal should be obvious, no? It is a steak and avocado burrito. Note to Finland. It is NOT a wrap. Its name is burrito. Sen nimi on burrito. Kuutsu burritoksi! Ok, so I am sure I spelled something wrong there. You have your tortilla. However, when you put food in it and wrap it, it becomes a burrito. If you fold the tortilla different way or if it is fried then there are other names, like taco, tostada, or taquito. Anyway, I made my own flour tortillas. I mean, I would really love to have that cast iron tortilla press which would make them perfectly round. Alas, I don't and rolled my own, so to speak. I remember my first year here, my mother sent me this article ripped out of the pages of Latina magazine which said that they were going to build a tortilla factory in Finland. Come to think of it there are, I am not sure, but around 10 differnt tortilla brands out there. El silenzia, old el paso, indian, pirkka, santa maria... I am sure I a forgetting half of them, but you get the idea. And how about that, avocados are cheaper here than in California. Verdad!
The other items here are Carelian Pies, or Karjalan piirrakat. They are made with rye flour. One can use rice porridge as a filling. However, I prefer to use mashed potatoes which were instant as opposed to an actual boiled potato. On can also top them with something called munavoi which is egg butter. However, I just chopped an egg and stuck it there. That is nice to eat when it is fresh. The next day, if any are left one can stick a slice of cheese and ham on it. I had tried these before and didn't like them. I suppose it was because they were store bought and they just didn't have the same nice taste as fresh ones do. I tasted fresh ones one time in class. They were so good, I decided to try to make them. The Finn gave me a Hyväksy. That is to say, a stamp of approval. Posted by Picasa

No comments: