Monday, March 13, 2006

Yes! I finally got a new digital camera. The Canon Powershot A620. I am so excited about it. It had first come to my attention in December when a friend was looking into buying his first digicamera. We went looking around and examining two different cameras. The one we decided was better was this A620. It was the movable LCD screen that did it for me. Plus, you can buy componants for it like a wide convert, a tele- converter, and a high-power flash. It came with a tiny 32mb sd memory card. I laughed when I saw that, realizing i would fill it in 5 shots. So, I transfered my old sd card from my old Samsung and was suprised when I saw it was only 125mb. Of course, I will now have to get a bigger, faster card.

So, I had been going on and on about this camera since December. The Finn just said we had to wait. Once, in a crummy or crumsey mood as she says, she said not to make any plans to get it as it wasn't in our budget. Well, I knew better. Something told my I'd have it by my birthday. I replied back to her, that well, it will go on sale in February and if it is a good deal, I am going to get it. I smiled to myself. Then, in February, the catalog from Stockmann came showing the camera on sale.

Yesterday, we went to Jumbo. That is a shopping center in Vantaa, Finland where they have many stores. She had been sullen after we had been debating going skiing versus going to see a movie and going to a museum. We went to drop my watch off for a new battery when we found ourselves next to Stockmann with a few minutes to spare. So, I said let's go there, I want to peek. We walked there and started browsing, a tv screen was showing there bargains of the month. There was a picture of the camera. Finally, the Finn called me over and said we could get it if I really wanted. The catch was that I had to deal with the salesperson and do the deal. In Stockmann, the sales people have little flags on their name tags which indicate which languages they can speak with the customers. That was what she thought, that I would just grab a clerk with a British flag and deal with it in English. However, in my enthusiam, I forgot both my loathing of talking with strangers and my low confidence in speaking Finnish. I grabbed the first person I saw, some boy who only had a little Finnish flag on his name tag. So, I overcame two of my issues and suprised the Finn by completing the whole transaction in Finnish. Happy! I saved almost 82€ off the regular price. I am so excited. I was shooting all night with it and didn't get to sleep until 4am.

No comments: