Friday, March 03, 2006

Laskiaispulla


S4300010
Originally uploaded by gema fova.
So, after we went sliding down the hill. We went home for some pea soup and these laskiaispulla. The Finn made them from scratch. The pea soup was from a can and quite tasty. I mean, I was never much for pea soup but in the last few months, I have really started to crave it. My earliest memories of pea soup come from driving from L.A to San Francisco and passing through Buellton. Or just driving to Solvang from Santa Barbara and stopping at Andersen's Pea Soup Restaurant. Then, on my first trip to Finland 6 years ago, some friend of the Finns made pea soup for me, since it was a traditional Finnish food. I supposed I could have posted a photo of the soup we had but these buns were prettier than the green soup. This website, Finnguide, calls Laskiassunnuntai "Shrove Sunday". Shrove means,
  1. To hear the confession of and give absolution to (a penitent).
  2. To obtain absolution for (oneself) by confessing and doing penance.

Archaic
  1. To make or go to confession.
  2. To hear confessions

No comments: