Thursday, December 28, 2006

I finally finished my clinical practice.

I had been in this hospital ward doing a four week clinical practice. It was really enjoyable and satisfying work. I saw a wide range of nursing styles, some which have been burned into my memory and will forever be the way not to do things and some which were graceful and stylish. This is my classmate who was on the ward with me. I was feeling a bit jealous that she seemed to get the nicer of the two tutor nurses. However, I think the one I got actually let me do more things. I still didn't get to do as much as I wanted especially when I compared my experiences to the others. I did get to do experience something that was interesting to me. Death. I mean, I didn't die but two people did. One was expected and the other was a surprise. I was never hoping anybody would pass. I just find it interesting. Flashback to 28 years ago, I am in grade school sitting in a large Roman Catholic church wearing my green catholic school girl uniform. I am watching a funeral. It is my weekly hobby. They have them every week and we are allowed to go to church whenever we want. We are sitting in the school bus turning into the driveway of Forrest Lawn Cemetary in the Hollywood Hills. I think how lovely all the pretty tombstones are. When I found out about these passings I felt sorrow for the suffering they may have had and for their relatives. I felt very annoyed at the flippant way the other nurses seemed to be taking it. I guess they have experienced it so many times. I don't think I will ever get to that point, I will always be solemn when it happens. I am one that can make that final journey with those who are leaving. So, if they don't have family close by I'd like to be there. One was already off the ward by the time I found out about it. However, I was able to accompany the other to the last place he would be in the hospital before being taken away. As it turned out, I was still finishing my time on the ward while my classmates were already enjoying their vacation. After Amsterdam, I got terribly ill with a heinous vatsatauti. We, also, attended an autopsy, which only fed my morbid sensibilities. I haven't decided how to refer to these dead. That person's body. That person. The body. I keep changing. It is like talking about a trannie. Him, her, that person, she, he. It is like the wheel of fortune, I don't which word will fall out of my mouth. Anyway, I finally finished. I enjoyed the clients on the ward. They were elderly. It was a psychiatric ward. So, there were some with such things like, Alzheimer's, dementia, depression, schizophrenia.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: